Saturday, July 4, 2009

Run #28

12 miles, 2:13:58, 11:10 pace, 145 average heart rate.

24 miles this week, 128 miles total.

Starting today, every long training run, excluding the stepback weeks, will be the longest I've ever run. A couple days ago I was looking ahead to this run with some trepidation. And getting home from work this morning and changing clothes I was feeling a bit intimidated. In addition to the 12 miles, was trying the Camelbak for the first time along with some Clif Shot Bloks energy thingys that I picked up at the running store in town.

Right off the bat I was annoyed by the sloshing water sound when I started running. The pack was comfortable enough, just rather noisy with each step. Eventually, I got used to the sound, so it wasn't a huge deal, and it's more important to keep hydrated on the longer runs. The route I took also had a pretty decent hill within the first 1.5 miles, so I was kinda huffing through that, but I've been trying the new-agey, "power of positive thinking" mental exercises my book suggests so I thought about how much I love hills and how they're making me stronger. Believe me, as much as anyone, my mind is programmed to reject such silliness, but it does seem to work. Who knows what doors of positivity this will open. Be afraid, my friends. :)

Once I got through those first few hills, everything just felt really easy. I was able to keep my heart rate very low, at least until the last 2.5 miles. It was 65 F when I started, not too humid and I was in the shade most of the time. And contrary to every other energy bar I've tried, the Clif Shot Bloks actually tasted really good...kinda like Dots, which are my favorite movie theater candy. What to eat and drink during the runs and race, and how often, has been one of the main topics I've researched, so that might be the answer.
All in all, a fantastic run.

10 comments:

  1. During the marathon last year they passed out Clif Shots gel thingys...absolutely disgusting!! Only flavor they had when I got there was expresso. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had some nasty tasting Clif-type "foods" before, but the stuff I tried on Saturday were like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay away from the mango flavored goo. Have you tried the jelly beans? they're great; i'll vouch for em. that way you can eat a little bit whenever you want, not some massive pouch thing. i like the "gu" "chomps" better than the cliff shot blocks. you should try a little of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a pack of those Gu Chomps that I'll try next time. I read about the Jelly Belly Sport Beans, too. Sounds good. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bloks are now my fave long run treats. Never again will I eat a goo or gel. Blech. Sounds like you're moving along very well. Any chance you'll join a running group for your longer runs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never run with a group before, but I kinda prefer running by myself. And given my rotating work schedule, I can't really go out at a set time every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you running with music for your longer runs? I work shifts as well, but sometimes for the longer runs, it's a bit easier if you can run with others. Either way, you're out there and it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No iPod or anything. There's a running store in Princeton that advertises group runs, so I may look into that. I did see a couple groups around town last Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the first long runs (10+ miles) always made me nervous, but it sounds like you've got it under control - especially with positive thinking (who would have thought?)

    Although I preferred running alone, our Sunday runs were with a group and it was actually helpful.

    ReplyDelete