Saturday, September 5, 2009

Run #59

14 miles, 2:41:17, 11:31 pace, 153 average heart rate.

28 miles this week, 338 miles total.

I worked a day shift today, so no running in the morning, though there was an extra guy on the desk, so I got to go home early. The question, then, was whether to run in the mid-afternoon when it was hotter and be able to go to bed early, or wait until evening and end up running after dark. I decided to go earlier. It was 77 F and by the time I got home it was still 73 F, so I guess it didn't matter much. Nice to be done before dark, though.

However, that was all that was nice. I was very sluggish for the first four miles, picked it up a bit for the next 6 miles, but the last four miles were a struggle. Not soreness or anything, but my muscles and brain were very tired. Despite that, my pace was right around average for these long runs. Around mile 13 I saw some people sitting on out their front porch enjoying the nice weather and I suddenly got a strong desire for a Grey Goose & tonic. Perhaps not the most recommended post-run beverage, but as soon as I get done stretching, I'm heading into town for a drink.

This was the last step-back run before next week's 20 miler. That's the longest training run, and then it's three weeks of taper. The Twin Cities Marathon is in one month! Sunday October 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment