Saturday, May 23, 2009

Run #4

6 miles, 1:01:28, 10:14 pace, 160 average heart rate.

15 miles this week, 15 miles total.

First long run of the schedule, and it came after a 12-hour day shift. Luckily, the weather was very nice...70 F with a light breeze, and because I got going around 6:00 PM, I mostly ran in the shade. It felt pretty easy throughout. My heart rate did get over 170 bpm near the end even though I slowed to around a 10:45 pace, but I wasn't ever short of breath.

What I've read about marathon training really emphasizes doing everything the same for the long training runs as you'll do on race day, such as the amount of sleep the night before, and eating and drinking before/during the race. Obviously, that's good advice, and equally obviously, my work schedule that includes nights and weekends will not allow me to follow that advice completely. I've got a breakfast that seems to work, at least for the three short runs I did earlier this week; plain bagel with peanut butter, banana, and bottle of Gatorade. Half before the run, half after. We'll see how that goes once I get into the longer long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment